30 things to start doing before 30
1. Pay yourself first – Start a 401k or IRA
2. Wear sunscreen. Daily. You are gorgeous now and will want to look gorgeous at 60.
3. Return all of your calls and emails. You’re getting too old to blow people off.
4. Get out of the country. Seriously, GO SOMEWHERE!
4. Recycle. Or ride a bike. Make one small commitment to the environment then watch it grow.
5. Take accountability for your decisions. Everyone these days says “I only smoke when they drink” Whatever…Own it!
6. Be honest. Always.
7. Bump up your work ethic and actually WORK at work. Be a valuable employee and get paid what you deserve.
8. Do good for your body. Find an activity you like (Tennis, Yoga, Jogging) and go do it!
9. Grow something, whether it’s flowers in your front yard, vegetables in the back, or just a small mint plant in your kitchen for mojitos
10. Offer to pay for dinner when you go out with your parents. They probably won’t take you up on it, but you should still try.
11. Ask for and accept help from others. You can still be “Miss Independent” even though your boyfriend helps manage your investments, your dad checks the tires on your car, and all your best recipes come from your neighbor.
12. Offer help to others in any way you can.
13. Occasionally write a letter or send a postcard to someone you haven’t seen in a while. It will make their day.
14. Be a “yes” person. One day you might not have the time to accept all those happy hour and party invites you’re getting now.
15. Speak up! Life is so much better when you’re honest about your wants and needs.
16. Carrots > Cheetos. Educate yourself about food and make the best decisions you can.
17. Be on time. Being late all the time is rude. Period.
18. Check your insecurities at the door. If you want a pina colada with whipped cream and cherries when everyone else is drinking beer, who cares?
19. Admit when you’ve been wrong/irrational/unfair. It’s scary at first but then it feels amazing.
20. Live by yourself and enjoy the silence.
21. Craft your negotiation skills so you can ask for a raise, buy a new car, or lower your interest rate.
22. Have your photo taken. Your 20-something self should exist somewhere other than on a discarded camera phone.
23. Expand your horizons: Read news outside of your country, or cook a meal native to another part of the world.
24. Back up the data on your computer. A forever lost iTunes library is a sad, sad thing.
25. Take a day off and be a tourist in your own city. Ask for advice on where to eat and visit – you might find your new favorite place or meet a new friend.
26. Love your body. Today might be the youngest you’ll ever look so embrace it!
27. Educate yourself: Learn how to check your oil, poach an egg, or speak another language.
28. Make a CD of your most favorite songs and burn copies for your friends.
29. Learn how to control your emotions when necessary. No one wants to cry in front of their boss.
30. Love without fear. It might take you awhile to get there, but I bet it’s worth the journey.