Here’s the post where I pretend like it hasn’t been two weeks since I’ve blogged, and also where I pretend I haven’t spent the past two weeks as a mear shell of a person, overly-stressed, under-slept with my only refuge being beer and chips & salsa. Yes, I have been absent. Yes, I have been stressed, and more importantly, sad. I miss my best friend so much that I almost feel like I don’t miss him because I’ve pushed those feelings so far back in an attempt to continue on with my daily activities with some sense of normalcy. Does that mean it’s okay to drink tons of beer, eat whatever I want and buy myself caramel macchiatos and new shoes? (2 Pairs- EEK!) No, that’s no excuse, but that’s what I’ve been doing. Eating and drinking whatever I want, not running, buying things impulsively on the internet, and losing sleep. Pathetic excuse for the past two weeks.
Today is a new day. Today I emerge from my pity party to make some promises.
1. I will make my own coffee. Just becuase Big Guy isn’t here making it for me doesn’t mean I am licensed to purchase a $4 Caramel Macchiato at the ‘bucks.
2. When I DO go to the ‘bucks, only on very special occasions of course, I will switch to Americanos. Lord knows I don’t need any help piling more sugar into my diet (see truffles below) so this is an easy swap.
3. I will get my ass out of bed and go running. I ran today for the first time in 10 days, and squeaked out a pathetic 4.85 miles. (Yes, I’m counting every step) Pathetic not because of the mileage, but because I felt like I had to stop and walk about every 100 feet. That’s what 2 weeks of self-indulgent pity will do to you!
4. I will continue my quest to eat as many vegetables as possible, and continue to cook dinner at home most nights, even though I am just cooking for myself.
5. I will not promise to stop buying shoes, or anything else for that matter, because I work really hard and should be able to blow my extra babysitting money however I see fit.
Here’s a photo recap of the past few days. Went Sunday night to see Valentines Day with some girlfriends, and in my initial attempts to stop treating my tummy like a trash can, I stopped at Whole Foods to load up on some goodness before entering the junk food laden movie theatre.
Look at all those colors- Food Porn! Romaine w/ balsamic, WF’s “Superfood Salad”, Apple, Pepper & Beet Salad, & Pineapples. Too bad my girlfriends had already purchased a refillable tub of popcorn when I got to the theatre, so you can pretty much erase all this goodness with about a pound and a half of buttery popcorn and Reeses Pieces. So it goes!
Last night I cooked for myself for the first time since BG left. Tofu & Spinach Curry, y’all! I did this the easy-peasy way, with canned sauce, a box of rice and some tofu & fresh spinach. Steps go like this: Smoosh then slice spinach. Pan fry on either side in 1 tbsp olive oil. Tofu takes a looong time to cook so be patient.
Dump container of sauce onto cooked tofu. Simmer for a few minutes. Add a big, big handful ferosh fresh spinach. It will cook down…
Stir around for a few minutes, until spinach is just wilted.
Serve mixture over rice. Dig in!
All in all, this dish was amazing and super easy to make. Gotta figure out a way to make it spicy without taking away from the savory masala flavor of the sauce, but that’s for another night.
Finish with one or two or three truffles. Mandatory.
Happy Hump Day, Loves. Tonight I’m going to my friend Lex’s “Spirit Animal” themed birthday party. You have to come dressed as your Spirit Animal. I’m a BEAR…haven’t quite figured out how I’m going to make that one happen yet but I’ve got about 10 hours to come up with something.
Find out what your Spirit Animal is here: http://www.jerismithready.com/quiz/